I’m actually really embarrassed to say that I’ve never cooked or eaten Shakshuka before! Shakshuka is essentially baked eggs with a Middle-Eastern style sauce. There are thousands of recipes on the internet, so I thought it would be easier to just make my own one up. I’ve seen many chefs and contestants cook it on various TV programmes and they always look so amazing. I thought today would be the perfect time to try them out.
They’re actually a cheap breakfast to do as I imagine that most people will have the ingredients in their fridge/ cupboard already – and they’re so versatile, you can literally add anything you want to them. I just used some veg that we had in the fridge and added some feta cheese to the mix when I put the pan in the oven. Tom and I both devoured it and it’s something I will make again.
Prep time – 10 minutes.
Cooking time – 40 minutes.
- 1 can chopped tomatoes.
- 1 tbsp tomato puree.
- 50g feta cheese.
- 1 medium onion, finely diced.
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced.
- 1 red pepper, finely diced.
- 1 red chilli, sliced.
- 1 tsp lazy garlic.
- 100g chorizo, diced.
- 100ml red wine (optional, I only used it because we had some that was open).
- 50g cherry tomatoes, sliced in half.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds.
- 1 tsp smoked paprika.
- 1 tsp harissa paste.
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs.
- Salt and pepper.
- 1 egg per person.
- Fresh basil to garnish.
- In an overproof frying pan, add 1 tbsp olive oil. When it is hot, add the cumin seeds and garlic. Fry off for one minute.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Add the onion, pepper and carrot to the frying pan and cook on a high heat for around 10 minutes. Stir frequently so it doesn’t burn or stick to the pan.
- In a separate frying pan, fry off the chorizo – you won’t need to add oil as the chorizo produces its own.
- Add the chorizo to the vegetables, and add the rest of the spices and herbs.
- If you’re using it, add the red wine and reduce it until it has all gone. This will only take around 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and the chopped tomatoes. Stir thoroughly so it’s all mixed in. Season with salt and pepper.
- Crack the eggs on top and sprinkle over the feta cheese.
- Bake for around 20 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread.